Affordable - Customized - Personal Training

Sales tax in Canada

Requirements for trainers

When you train with fittcoach in Ontario and Alberta, the federal government requires that sales tax (HST/GST) be collected on each trip and remitted to the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA). Learn how this works and what it means for you.


Sales Tax Overview

As an fittcoach partner, you’re an independent contractor. When you work for yourself, you’re responsible to collect, remit, and file your sales tax—HST in Ontario, GST in Alberta—on all your training sessions with fittcoach to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). If you are a trainer in Quebec, fittcoach will collect and remit your sales tax on your behalf. Check out our Quebec Sales Tax page for more details.

All fares charged by all trainer partners (trainers like you) are now subject to HST/GST. No matter how much income you earn from training, this requirement stays the same.

Luckily, HST/GST is already included in every fare your clients pay. So, while you still need to remit HST/GST, it does not impact your take-home earnings. Plus, when you register for an HST/GST number, you may be eligible to claim input tax credits (ITC) back on some of your expenses as a trainer.

A tax professional can help you understand how to remit and file your taxes correctly and claim your potential input tax credits.

light green.png

Collect, remit, file

Do tax season right

1. Register for HST/GST

The CRA requires trainers to apply for an HST/GST account within 30 days of your first trip with fittcoach. It takes a few minutes to complete and you’ll have your HST/GST number instantly. Here are step-by-step instructions to help you with the process.

2. Collect HST/GST

Each week, you’ll receive the HST/GST that was collected from your training sessions. These amounts will be shown on your weekly payment statement from fittcoach as well as your monthly and annual Tax Summary. Be sure to set that money aside so you’ll have it ready for the CRA when you file your HST/GST return.

3. Remit your HST/GST to the CRA

HST/GST can be remitted quarterly or annually to the CRA—choose which works best for you. It’s fairly simple to make regular payments. You can make your HST/GST payment electronically, by mail, or at your bank. Wondering how much you need to remit? You can find this amount on your monthly and annual Tax Summary.

4. File your HST/GST return

You can file your HST return online with CRA. To file your HST/GST return, you’ll need to know your net tax. Wondering what that is? Great question! Your net tax is the difference between the amount of HST/GST you’ve collected and the amount of HST/GST you’ve paid on expenses related to your ridesharing activities.

Remember, your tax situation is different from everyone else’s. So working with a tax professional can be your best option. They can help file your HST/GST returns so you get the most money back with the least risk of errors.